The third-ranked McGill Redmen were undefeated through three games this week, though they did drop their first point of the season in a 3-3 draw with the Ottawa Gee-Gees Tuesday at Montreal’s McConnell Arena. Trailing 3-2 heading into the third period, Ottawa got an equalizer from first-year centre Kevin Glode that sent the game into overtime. Ottawa had led 2-0 on a pair of goals from Jonathan Robert but the Redmen scored three unanswered to build the one-goal lead. Shawn Shewchuk and Doug Orr had a goal and an assist each for McGill, while David Urquhart added two assists.

The tie snapped a six-game win streak to start the season but the Redmen responded with back-to-back 5-0 wins over the Laurier Golden Hawks Friday and the Brock Badgers Saturday. Goaltender Jean-Michel Filiatrault turned away all 27 shots he faced against Laurier. Lucas Madill scored twice, while Shewchuk and Pierre-Antoine Paquet had two assists each. McGill scored three times in the second period, including two by fourth-year winger Ken Davis, in defeating the host Badgers. Davis also chipped in an assist, while Mathieu LeClerc had a four-point night with a goal and three helpers. Mathieu Poitras made 24 saves for the shutout, his OUA-best fourth of the year. Shewchuk had a goal and an assist to give him six points in McGill’s three games last week. He leads the OUA in assists with 11 and is tied for second in points with UQTR’s Mathieu Gravel at 17.

Brock did win its first game of the weekend, a wild 7-5 victory over the Gee-Gees that featured eight goals in the opening 20 minutes. Corey Sabourin and Jason Harshaw had a pair of goals each for the Badgers, with Sabourin notching the winner at 8:17 of the third period. Josh Bonar added a goal and two assists for the Badgers. Brock scored three straight in the first seven minutes of the game to take a 3-0 lead but Ottawa answered with three of its own to tie the game by the 13:37 mark of the period on an even-strength marker from Jerome Briere. Glode had a goal and two assists, while Robert scored twice for his second straight multi-goal game. Matthew Harpwood made 33 saves in the Badgers’ net. The Gee-Gees then dropped their final game of the week 5-2 to the Golden Hawks Saturday despite building an early 2-0 lead on the road. Briere and Dan McDonald each scored in the first period to give Ottawa a two-goal cushion after 20 minutes but Laurier scored twice in the second period and added three more in the third for its fourth win of the season. James Edgar scored twice for the Golden Hawks, while Matt Voakes had a two-point night, including the game-winning goal at 10:17 of the third period. Laurier is two points behind the Badgers and the York Lions in the Mid West Division with a game in hand.

Clarke Singer’s Western Mustangs improved to 6-1-1-0 with a pair of big wins over the Ryerson Rams and Toronto Varsity Blues. Western defeated Ryerson 7-2 Friday, as the Mustangs had seven players with multi-point nights, including a goal and two assists from Toronto native Mike Rice and three helpers from Chris Rowan. Western scored five times in the first period and fired 56 shots at Rams goaltender Pierre Beaulien. The Mustangs had another fast start against the Varsity Blues Saturday, holding a 3-0 lead after the first period of play. Kevin Richardson had two goals and an assist and Sal Peralta added three assists. Scott Dickie made 22 saves for his fourth win of the season. The second-year London native is undefeated in five starts with a 4-0-1 record.

Dany Dallaire made 33 saves for the shutout as UQTR kicked off its week with a decisive 7-0 win over the Lions. Jonathan Boutin scored twice and added an assist, while Thiery Poudrier had a goal and set up two others. The fifth-ranked Patriotes then traveled to Guelph Saturday and defeated the Gryphons 4-2. Louis Mandeville scored twice, including the winner, for UQTR. The Patriotes lead the league with 60 goals scored, 18 more than the second-place Concordia Stingers. York rebounded from the big loss to beat Concordia 6-5 in overtime, as Marcus Smith completed the York comeback with his second goal of the night at 1:31 of the extra period. Smith, who also had two assists for a four-point game, cut Concordia’s lead to 5-4 at 15:55 of the third period. Sean Langdon then scored just over three minutes later to send the game to overtime. Langdon also had a pair of assists, while Kevin Druce made 42 saves for the Lions.

The Queen’s Golden Gaels won back-to-back games for the first time in Kirk Muller’s first season behind the bench, defeating the Windsor Lancers 3-2 Friday and 6-5 Saturday. Brad Walford scored what turned out to be the winning goal shorthanded at 17:48 of the third period, while Matt Kenney made 28 saves for the victory. Calgary native Brian Moore scored twice in the final 3:11 to lead the Golden Gaels to their second win in as many nights over the Lancers. Jeff Owens and Patrick McDonough had two assists each for Queen’s, while Kenney had a busy night, making 37 saves for the victory.

In other OUA action, the Waterloo Warriors beat the Varsity Blues 5-2 Friday. Waterloo skated to a 2-2 draw with Ryerson the following night. The Lakehead Thunderwolves defeated the RMC Paladins 3-2 Friday and then drew 3-3 with the Paladins in the rematch Saturday. OUA scoring leader Jesse Pyatt scored an overtime winner to complete the hat-trick as Guelph beat Concordia 5-4. Pyatt, who also added an assist, gave the Gryphons a lead in the third period and then ended the game at 1:08 of the overtime. He leads the league with 13 goals and nine assists for 22 points, placing him second overall in the CIS behind Dean Beuker of the Saskatchewan Huskies. Beuker has 11 goals and 13 assists, though he’s played four more games than Pyatt.