WATERLOO, Ont. - The Windsor Lancers men's hockey team lost a close game to the No. 8-ranked Laurier Golden Hawks Thursday night by a score of 4-3. Windsor, for the second straight game against Laurier, couldn't hold onto a third period lead against the high-powered Golden Hawks attack led by Luke Girard.

Girard opened the scoring for the Golden Hawks just five minutes into the game when his shot got by Lancer goalie Jim Watt (Edmonton, Alta.) to give Laurier the early lead. For the rest of the next two periods though, Watt stood tall in the Lancer net, allowing his team to get back into the game.

With the teams playing four skaters aside early in the second frame, Scott Gillis (Antigonish, Ont.) netted his fifth of the season past Laurier goaltender Jeff MacDougald to even the score at one.

Windsor would then take the lead midway through the period when the combination of Danny Anger (Woodslee, Ont.) and Shayne Taylor (Port Perry, Ont.) hooked up resulting in Taylor's fifth goal of the young season. The Lancers now carried a 2-1 lead into the third period.

The game began to unwind for Windsor as two quick penalties against the Lancers gave Laurier a five on three man advantage. Once again, it was Girard to find that back of the net past Watt for his second of the game, tying the score at two.

On the play, the Lancers were assessed a five-minute major penalty, allowing the five-on-three to continue for Laurier. However, Coach Hamlin's squad was able to kill it off, giving the team a boost in momentum.

Windsor would capitalize just two minutes after the penalty ended when Josh Gaynor (Goderich, Ont.) took a feed from captain Kyle Nishizaki (Chatham, Ont.) to restore the Lancers lead.

It would be a short lived lead as right off the face-off at centre, Jean-Michel Rizk walked in untouched and tied the game just 10 seconds after Gaynor's goal.

With the momentum back in the favour, Girard once again took centre stage for the Laurier attack and scored his third goal of the game to give Laurier a 4-3 with just over two minutes to play.

A penalty to Rizk gave Windsor a late power play but even with Watt on the bench for an extra attacker, the Lancers could not find a way to beat MacDougald, giving Laurier the victory.

Watt was outstanding in net for Windsor again, turning aside 38 of 42 shots in the game. MacDougald made 23 in the win for Laurier.

Source: Lancers Athletics


GUELPH, Ont. - The No. 10-ranked Brock Badgers men's hockey team defeated the Guelph Gryphons by the score of 4-1 on the road Thursday night.

Brock opened the scoring 1:27 into the first period as sophomore Steve Mullin (Guelph, Ont.) and freshman Isaac Smeltzer (Estevan, Sask.) set up sophomore Ryan Allen (Fort McMurray, Alta.) for his team-leading fourth goal of the season.

In the second period, the Badgers added two more taking a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes. Allen and sophomore Gary Friesen (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont.) set up senior George Bradley (Burlington, Ont.) for his first of the season. Rookie Derek Brochu (Welland, Ont.) put Brock up 3-0 as he beat Guelph netminder Adam Jennings tying Allen for the team lead with four goals.

Just 28 seconds into the third period, the Badgers took a commanding 4-0 lead. Seniors Brennen Giroux (Charlie Lake, B.C.) and Mike Macintyre
(Sioux Lookout, Ont.) set up rookie Adam Schwark (Saskatoon, Sask.) for his third of the campaign.

Guelph's Matthew Beck beat Brock rookie netminder Kurt Jory (Brandon, Man.) with just over five minutes left in the third period breaking the

Jory turned aside 21 Gryphons shots for his fourth victory of the season.

Source: Badgers Athletics