WATERLOO, Ont. – Nick Vergeer (West Lorne, Ont.) and Luke Girard (Mississauga, Ont.) scored two goals each as the No. 8 nationally ranked Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks took down the Waterloo Warriors 6-2 at Columbia Ice Fields.

Laurier opened the scoring when team captain Vergeer scored in the tail end of the first period to give the Hawks a 1-0 advantage going into the break. The goal would be Vergeer's third of the season.

The purple and gold would carry that goal's momentum into the second frame as Mark Voakes (St. Thomas, Ont.) would score his second of the season just 46 seconds in. Mike Galbraith (Oakville, Ont.) would score his first of the year on the man-advantage from Tyler Townsend (Tavistock, Ont.) and Matt Maccrone (Whitby, Ont.) to put Laurier up 3-0 midway through the second.

David Edgeworth of the Warriors would put his team on the board as the scoring continued. Vergeer would close the scoring in the period to give Laurier a 4-1 advantage going into the final frame.

The third period would be Girard's as he would score two goals to put the Golden Hawks up 6-2. The first came half way through the frame on the power play while the second was at the end of the game with the goaltender on the bench. Waterloo would also notch a goal from Chris Ray.

Girard is now in the lead in the country with the most goals and fifth in the country in points. He has 10 goals in eight games and 14 points. Both Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.) and Voakes are also in the top ten in scoring in the nation with 16 and 12 points respectively.

The Golden Hawks out shot the host Warriors 14-9 with goalie Aaron Barton making nine saves and Laurier netminder Jeff MacDougald (Shallow Lake, Ont.) stopping seven. The match also had a total of 33 penalties for 115 minutes. Laurier was 2-7 with the man-advantage while the Warriors were 0-6.

Source: Golden Hawks Athletics


TORONTO, Ont. - Two goals in the first period was all that the Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team needed to beat the Queen's Gaels on Sat., Nov. 1 at Varsity Arena.

Stephen Duffy got the Blues on the board when he skated in from the point and tapped in a Joe Rand (Hamilton, Ont.) pass. Just three minutes later, Kyle Ventura (Scarborough, Ont.) netted a Byron Elliott (Burlington, Ont.) rebound to gives the Blues a two goal lead that would last throughout the rest of the game.

Despite any scoring opportunities, neither team scored in the second and third periods and the Blues came away with the 2-0 victory.

Blues goaltender and player of the game Andrew Martin (Mississauga, Ont.) made 21 saves and earned his first shutout of the season.

Source: Varsity Blues Athletics


TORONTO, Ont. - The Ryerson Rams men's hockey team started slow but finished strong to earn its first victory of the season, defeating RMC 8-5 Saturday afternoon at George Bell Arena.

The Rams looked sluggish in the early going, falling behind on a Michael Soros (Ottawa) power play goal 3:29 into the game. Although goals from Grant Buckley (Stouffville, Ont.) and Donivan Munro (Toronto) gave Ryerson a brief 2-1 lead, Matthew Pinder (Calgary, Alta.) bounced a shot of Buckley's leg to even the score after one period.

Ryerson came out blazing in the second and would never look back. Cory Konecny (Stoney Point, Ont.) scored his third goal of the season to put the Rams up 3-2, while opening the floodgates for the Ryerson offence. Munro scored his second of the game just 1:19 later, while Josh McNair (Sudbury, Ont.) and Brent Small (Pickering, Ont.) opened up a 6-3 Ryerson lead after two.

A scrappy third period saw McNair score his team-leading fifth goal of the season, while Michael Paolo capped off the game for Ryerson with his first. Two late goals saw RMC make it interesting in the dying seconds, but the Rams held on for the victory.

Louie George (Waterloo, Ont.) was solid in his first start of the season, making 32 saves to earn his first-career OUA win. Brendan Boyle (Comox, B.C.), who was constantly contending with Rams buzzing around his crease, made 17 saves in the loss.

The Ryerson power play was effective, going 2-for-9 on the afternoon while moving the puck well. The penalty killing unit was again put to the test far too often, as the Rams took 48 minutes in penalties and were a man down a total of 10 times. While they bent, allowing four power play goals against, they didn't break, and held Ryerson in the game early.

Source: Rams Athletics


October 31, 2008

Concordia 3, Carleton 2, OT
UQTR 7, McGill 3
Queen's 4, Ryerson 3, OT
Toronto 6, RMC 2
Waterloo 6, Windsor 3
Western 3, Lakehead 0

November 1, 2008
Ryerson 8, RMC 5
Guelph 3, York 2
Toronto 2, Queen's 0
Laurier 6, Waterloo 2
Lakehead 5, Western 2