GUELPH, Ont. - The Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team defeated the visiting Western Mustangs 5-2 on Sunday night at the Gryphon Centre. Guelph's power play was extremely effective on the night, helping the squad advance to a 7-5 record, while the Western Mustangs drop to 5-4-0-1.

The Gryphons took advantage of a 5-on-3 opportunity late in the first period. Michael Nelson (Stratford, Ont.) received a cross ice pass from Richard Cotter (Edmonton, Alta.), and fired a shot past the glove of a scrambling Western goalie to take a 1-0 lead, which the Gryphons would hold going into the second.

The second period shone brightly for the Gryphons right from the get-go. The Mustangs found themselves on the penalty kill again merely 1:30 into the period, and Guelph was not going to let their chance at an early 2-0 lead slip their grasp. Just 42 seconds into the power play, Kris Belan (Florence, Ont.) ripped a slap shot from the point to score the top corner goal.

Fortunately for the Gryphons, the Mustangs would continue to find themselves in the box, and unfortunately for Western, Guelph would continue to capitalize on their chances. Only 1:30 after the second Guelph goal, Ryan Martinelli (London, Ont.) forced his team back on the PK. Guelph forward Derek Knowles (Vanderhoof B.C.) fired a wrist shot from the top of the circle, and the Western goalie was not quick enough to stop the Gryphs from going up 3-0.

Later in the period, it was Guelph who had to kill off a penalty; and they did this in a way that every team hopes during those two minutes - scoring a shorthanded goal. Halfway through the kill, Kyle Sheridan (Sudbury, Ont.) fed the puck up centre ice to Darryl Munch (East St. Paul, Man.) who broke free on the breakaway and beat the goaltender on his backhand, giving the Gryphs the 4-0 lead they would take to the dressing room.

In the third period the Gryphons got off on the wrong foot. Two minutes into the period, Western's Jeffery Martens (Maple Ridge, B.C.) skated into the offensive zone and fired a slap shot from the circle to beat a screened Andrew Arklie (Dugald, Man.) to score the Mustangs first goal. Then only 1:15 later, Western would cut the lead to two. Joseph McCann (Essex, Ont.) fanned on a pass from Kevin Baker (Georgetown, Ont.) that trickled past an already iced Arklie.

Though the first few minutes seemed to foreshadow a Western miracle, the Gryphons silenced these hopes with a goal of their own just a minute after Western. Guelph's Zach Lillie (Bracebridge, Ont.) scored from the slot on a pass from teammate Munch to give the Gryphs back a comfortable three-goal lead which they would not give up again.

Source: Gryphons Athletics


TROIS-RIVIÈRES, Que. - The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team recorded two losses on the road this weekend. The Blues fell 3-0 to the Concordia Stingers on Friday night, before dropping a close 2-1 game to the No. 4 UQTR Patriotes on Saturday.

In a game full of penalties, the Blues had trouble finding the back of the net against the Stingers. Toronto had a total of 30 penalty minutes, while Concordia had 34.

After a scoreless first period, the Stingers scored two goals early in the second period and added an empty-netter with 24 seconds remaining in the game to secure the 3-0 victory.

Goal scorers for Concordia included Mike Baslyk (Montreal, Que.), Matt David (Montreal, Que.) and Nicolas Lafontaine (Gatineau, Que.).

The Blues outshot the Stingers 44-35, with Blues goaltender Andrew Martin (Mississauga, Ont.) making 32 saves in the loss.

On Saturday, UQTR scored two goals at the end of the first period to build a lead that would hold up for the rest of the game. Guillaume Chicoine (Dubreuilville, Que.) and Jean-Sebastien Breton (Pincourt, Que.) scored for the Patriotes.

The Blues lone goal came in the last two minutes of the second period, when Steve Devine (Scarborough, Ont.) and Craig McDonald (Ajax, Ont.) fed first-year forward Robert Kay (Orono, Ont.) for his first goal of the season.

Toronto did not find the back of the net again and fell 2-1 to the Patriotes.

Blues goaltender Russ Brownell (Oakville, Ont.) made 37 saves in the loss.

Source: Varsity Blues Athletics


WATERLOO - The No. 6-nationally ranked Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks defeated the No. 10 nationally ranked Brock Badgers 5-1 at the Waterloo Recreation Complex in front of 241 fans.

Craig Voakes (St. Thomas, Ont.) opened scoring in the game for the Hawks with just one minute left in the first period. It would be Voakes' fourth point and second goal in two games. Laurier used their fast pace and puck control to outshoot the Badgers in the first period 18-5.

The second period saw the Golden Hawks explode for three goals. The nations leading scorer, Luke Girard (Mississauga, Ont.) added another one to his tally just one minute into the frame. Girard now has 12 goals in ten games played. Brock next gained the man-advantage and capitalized as Derek Brochu (Welland, Ont.) beat Jeff MacDougald (Shallow Lake, Ont.). Laurier would have an answer as Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.) would score two straight goals to give the Golden Hawks a three-goal lead going into the break.

In the final period, Laurier worked their defensive game to prevent shots and isolate players. The Hawks allowed only six shots on net in the final frame while getting nine. Jordan Bonneville (St. Agatha, Ont.) scored his first goal wearing the purple and gold in the latter half of the period to give Laurier five goals and the win.

Brock goalie Kurt Jory (Brandon, Man.) faced 44 shots and turned back 39 of them in the loss while his counterpart MacDougald saw 21 and stopped 20.

The Badgers went 1-4 with the man-advantage while the Hawks were unable to capitalize in their three opportunities.

Source: Golden Hawks Athletics


OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT Ridgebacks men's hockey team could not come up with a win over the weekend against the visiting Lakehead Thunderwolves as they dropped a 6-3 decision in Game 2 of the series on Saturday afternoon at the Campus Ice Centre.

Lakehead took the first game of the series on Friday night with a 5-1 victory over the Ridgebacks. UOIT drops to 2-4-1 in OUA conference play while the Thunderwolves move to 6-3-1. UOIT is winless in four games in two years against the squad from Thunder Bay.

UOIT's Nathan Spaling (Drayton, Ont.) opened up scoring in the first period with his second goal of the year, but the Thunderwolves would storm back as they scored three unanswered goals to take a 3-1 lead. Mike Noyes (Lucan, Ont.) netted his fourth goal of the year midway through the second stanza, but Lakehead would go on another streak and score the next three goals to put the victory on ice.

Rookie forward Brock McPherson (Brampton, Ont.) scored a pair of goals for the T'wolves.

Spaling, the Ridgebacks inaugural season leading scorer, had his best game of the season as he ended the game with three points (one goal, two assists). Spaling has five points in seven games this season. Josh Vatri (Barrie, Ont.) also had a busy game for UOIT as he registered a goal and an assist while picking up 12 penalty minutes. Vatri scored the Ridgebacks lone goal on Friday night.

Oshawa native Chris Whitley picked up the win in net for Lakehead, improving his conference record to 4-1. Matt Mateja (Mississauga, Ont.) started in goal for the Ridgebacks, making 27 stops in the loss.

Shots on goal were 27-23 in favour of Lakehead. The Thunderwolves were 1-for-4 on the power-play while UOIT finished 1-for-5 with the man-advantage.

Source: Ridgebacks Athletics

November 7, 2008
McGill 4, RMC 2
Ottawa 4, Queen's 3, SO
Windsor 3, York 0
UQTR 4, Ryerson 0
Concordia 3, Toronto 0
Laurier 5, Brock 1
Lakehead 5, UOIT 1

November 8, 2008
Concordia 5, Ryerson 3
UQTR 2, Toronto 1
York 6, Windsor 1
Lakehead 6, UOIT 3
McGill 4, Queen's 1
Ottawa 7, RMC 3
Guelph 5, Waterloo 4, SO
Western 3, Brock 2, OT

November 9, 2008
Guelph 5, Western 2