KINGSTON, Ont. - A 50-17 shot advantage meant nothing on the scoreboard as the No. 8 nationally-ranked Lakehead Thunderwolves (9-3-0) were upset 5-4 in a shootout by the RMC Paladins (4-6-2) Saturday at Kingston, Ont.
The loss was the Wolves' first to RMC, having entered the contest with a 9-0-1 record all-time against the team.

Brock McPherson (Brampton, Ont.) and Shandor Alphonso (Orangeville, Ont.) each had big nights for the Wolves in the loss. McPherson scored twice, adding one assist while Shandor scored once with two helpers. Blueliner Ryan Baird (Thunder Bay, Ont.) added Lakehead's other goal.

Paul Whalen (Buchans, Nfld.) was the hero for RMC, scoring twice in regulation and adding the shootout winner. Landon Lavictoire (Kirkland Lake, Ont.) and John Hart (Halifax) also tallied for the Paladins.

Goaltending was the biggest story of the contest as RMC's Andrew Fleming (Quispamsis, N.B.) made 46 saves for the win. After allowing just one goal in his previous two starts, Lakehead netminder Kyle Moir (Calgary) struggled, allowing four goals while stopping just 13 shots.


At Carleton, the No. 4 Western Mustangs (11-2-0) extended their winning streak to 11 games after a 5-1 defeat over the Ravens (6-5-1).

Mustang goals were scored by Chris Corbeil (Oakville, Ont.), Geoff Killing (Embro, Ont.), Kevin Baker (Georgetown, Ont.), Joe McCann (Essex, Ont.) and Jason Swit (Mississauga, Ont.).

The lone Ravens goal was scored by Brandon McLean (Burlington, Ont.).

Goaltender Keyvan Hunt (Port Coquitlam, B.C.) turned aside 21 shots for the win.


At UQTR, the No. 5 Patriotes (11-2-0) continued to excel with a definitive 7-1 victory over the UOIT Ridgebacks (4-7-0).

UOIT's Derrick Bagshaw (Oshawa, Ont.) opened the scoring at 4:13 of the first-period. From then on it was all Patriotes.

Goal scorers included Jean-Sebastien Breton (Pin Court, Que.) and Steve Bellefleur (St-Basile-le-Grand, Que.) with two each, and Alexandre Demers (Laurier-Station, Que.), Olivier Donovan (Gatineau, Que.), and Charles Bergeron (Victoriaville, Que.) with singles.


At Ryerson, the Guelph Gryphons (6-5-0) continued their winning streak picking up an 8-2 road win over the Rams (6-7-0) on Saturday in Toronto.

Kris Belan (Florence, Ont.) scored a pair of goals. Matt Lyall (Richmond Hill, Ont.), Derek Knowles (Vanderhoof, B.C.), Zach Lillie (Bracebridge, Ont.), Michael Kusy (St. Catharine's, Ont.), Jon Thomas MacDonald (Niagara Falls, Ont.) and Tim Priamo (Guelph, Ont.) also scored.
Goaltender Scot VanBommel (Norwich, Ont.) recorded 29 saves.


At Queen's, after losing in a high-scoring affair on Friday night, the Gaels (5-6-0) lost 6-3 against the Windsor Lancers (5-6-1).
Jeffrey Johnstone (Etobicoke, Ont.) got Queen's on the board midway through the frame as he beat Lancer goalie Jim Watt (Edmonton).
Scott Gillis (Antigonish, N.S.) would tie the game up for Windsor but 49 seconds later, but Johnstone restored the Gaels lead, heading into the first intermission.

The lead would be short-lived as Mark Thorburn (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) scored his first of three goals in the game just 59 seconds into the second period.
The Gaels got back on the board at the 16:12 mark of the second when Joey Derochie (Sudbury, Ont.) scored on the power play to give Queen's a 3-2 lead after two.

The Lancers began to pick up their play in the third period and evened the score at three when Mike Barbour (New Glasgow, N.S.) beat Queen's goalie Mackenzie Ball (Shannonville, Ont.) for his second of the year.
The difference in the game came with less than six minutes remaining in the game. Thorburn and Ryan Federman scored a minute and 15 seconds apart to chase Ball from the nets and give Windsor a 5-3 lead.

Thorburn would complete the hat-trick with an empty-net goal with only one second remaining on the clock.


At Concordia, the visiting York Lions (6-6-1) clicked for five goals on nine power play opportunities to defeat the Stingers (2-11-0) by a score of 6-4 on Saturday.

York had goals from six different players and four players with multi-point games as they padded the stats sheet with the man-advantage.

Concordia got on the board early with an even-strength marker just 37 seconds into the game. Jesse Messier (Keswick, Ont.) responded at 3:18 on the power play to start the Lions rolling.

York would score three goals in the first, two in the second and an early power play marker at 4:03 of the third to seal the deal.

Concordia pulled to within one on a power play goal with 2:40 remaining in the third, but it would not be enough.

The Lions killed eight of 11 Concordia power plays.


At Nipissing, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (9-3-1) completed their four game stint against OUA East opponents with a 7-3 win over the Nipissing Lakers (6-7-0).

After no scoring in the first period, a shorthanded goal by Nipissing's Sam Hopewell ignited the Hawks to score three.

Paul Bradley (Calgary) evened the game 30 seconds after the Hopewell's marker and Mike Galbraith (Oakville, Ont.) scored two minutes later to give the purple and gold a 2-1 lead. Team captain Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.) completed the scoring in the period with his ninth of the season.

Six goals were scored within the first 11 minutes of the third period. Laurier started the deluge with goals from Ryan Bellows (St. Catharines, Ont.) and Ryan Bernardi (Etobicoke, Ont.) at the 0:43 and 1:44 marks. Nipissing got their second and third of the match from Nathan Hewitt and Josh McKinnon. Galbraith picked up his second of the game and Clinton Pettapiece (Christina Lake, B.C.) scored an unassisted marker to complete the scoring.

Laurier's Jeff MacDougald (Shallow Lake, Ont.) faced 35 shots and stopped 32 while Nipissing's tandem of Kyle Cantlon and Matt Hache stopped 17 of 24.


At Ottawa, Chris Ray scored two goals and added two assists as the Waterloo Warriors (9-4-0) clawed their way back from an early 2-0 deficit to knock off the Ottawa Gee-Gees (4-8-1) 4-3 Saturday night.

The Gee-Gees scored at 7:10 on the power play and at 16:25 of the first period to give Ottawa a 2-0 cushion after one period of play.

In the second, Waterloo's Ray (Kelowna, Ont. ) would score his first of two on the evening at 3:19 with the man-advantage to cut the Ottawa lead in half. Less than a minute and a half later, Ray would strike again as he notched his eighth of the season on a shorthanded effort to tie the game at 2-2. The Gee-Gees would re-gain the lead at 8:35 and take the slim 3-2 lead into the third.

In the final frame, the Warriors would knot the game at 3-3 just 1:41 into the period on Kyle Schwende's (Waterloo, Ont.) second goal of the season, assisted by Mark Hartman (Bacarres, Sask.) and Ray. Ray would tally his fourth point of the night setting up Schwende once again for the game-winner at 7:08.

Waterloo's Keaton Hartigan stopped 20 of 23 shots to gain his eighth win of the season and his second in as many nights.


At Toronto, the Brock Badgers (7-6-0) edged the Varsity Blues (5-7-2) 2-1 at Varsity arena.

It was a hard fought first period, with both teams playing a defensive, hard-hitting game. As a result the majority of the shots were kept to the outside allowing Brock's Mark Yetman (Mount Pearl, Nfld.) and Toronto's Andrew Martin (Mississauga, Ont.) to see everything.

Brock was on the power play twice in the period and capitalized quickly on the second effort as Vince Scott (Mississauga, Ont.) shot a puck off the end boards and right on the tap of Derek Brochu (Welland, Ont.) giving Brock a 1-0 lead.

The Badgers found themselves on the defensive during the second stanza. The Varsity Blues went on the power play on four separate occasions during the period; it was only the stellar play of Yetman that limited Toronto to one goal. Toronto's Byron Elliot (Burlington, Ont.) jumped on a loose puck in the corner and made a nice move to the front of the net, scoring on the far side.

The Badgers fought back, as Vince Scott charged the offensive zone, and found the trailer Joe Tolles (Toledo, Ohio) who hammered the one-timer past Martin to regain a one-goal lead.

The third period was Martin's turn to shine, and he was up to the challenge turning away all of Brock's opportunities.

Yetman and the Brock defence held strong, blocking shots and containing the Varsity Blues offensive efforts.


At McGill, sophomore forward Maxime Langelier-Parent (Levy, Que.) set up three goals as McGill (8-1-0) skated to a 5-1 come-from-behind win over the UOIT Ridgebacks at McConnell Arena, Friday.

After a scoreless first period, Kyle Wettering (Pickering, Ont.) gave the upstart Ridgebacks a 1-0 lead before the second period was a minute old.

However, McGill roared back with five unanswered goals, by five different players. Simon Marcotte-Légaré, a third-year forward from Longueuil, Que., evened the score at 14:51. Just 32 seconds later, the Redmen then took a precarious lead when sophomore Marc-André Daneau (Aston Jonction, Que.) converted a pass from Langelier-Parent and netted what proved to the game-winner.

McGill finally awoke from their slumber in the third period, exploding for three goals.

Langelier-Parent then set up rookie Patrick Belzile (St. Eloi, Que.) at 6:13. That was followed by Guillaume Doucet's marker at 7:33.

Defenceman Yan Turcotte, who is having a break-out year offensively, took a pass from Langelier-Parent and fired a laser beam off the post to put the contest on ice at 18:13.


At Carleton, all three Golden Hawks scored in the shootout to give Wilfrid Laurier a 5-4 victory over the host Carleton Ravens.

Team captain Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.) opened the scoring for the purple and gold at the 11:26 mark. The Ravens came right back with a goal of their own from Shane Bakker (Navan, Ont.) to even the game after the first period of play.

The Ravens got the better of Hawk netminder Ryan Daniels (Pickering, Ont.) at the midway point of the second period to go up 2-1 but Hawk forward Paul Bradley (Calgary) evened the match up less than a minute later. Late in the frame the Ravens Mike Byrd (Kemptville, Ont.) scored but Mitch Good (Wellesley, Ont.) notched the equalizer to send the game back to a 3-3 tie at the break.

In the third, Raven Christian Boudeau-Mifflen (Ottawa) scored with the man-advantage less than two minutes into the frame. Laurier's Ryan Bellows (St. Catharines, Ont.) tied the game up with a power play marker of his own at the seven minute mark. The match remained tied and went to overtime.

The Hawks shot first and Laurier's Paul Bradley made no mistake as the teams' first shooter. Mike Bryd scored for the Raven and then Jason Bergeron (Ancaster, Ont.) beat Archibald to put the pressure on the home team. Brandon MacLean (Burlington, Ont.) was turned aside by Ryan Daniels and Rizk scored to win the game.


At Nipissing, Jarrett Schnurr (Waterloo, Ont.) was the hero of the Friday night match-up between the Waterloo Warriors (9-4-0) and the Lakers (6-7-0).

Schnurr found the back of the net at 2:35 of the third period. It would stand as the game winner in a 1-0 win for Waterloo.


At Ottawa, left-winger Patrick Ouellet (Baie-Comeau, Que.) earned a hat trick in the No. 4 Western Mustangs' 6-4 defeat over the Ottawa Gee-Gees (4-8-1) on Friday, adding to the Mustangs' 10-game winning streak.

The three remaining goals were notched by Yashar Farmanara (West Vancouver, B.C.), Chris Corbeil (Oakville, Ont.) and Keaton Turkiewicz (Brantford, Ont.).

Western went up 4-0 on the Gee-Gees before Ottawa scored their first goal 6:42 into the second period. Mustang goaltender Anthony Grieco (Brampton, Ont.) made 23 saves for the win.


At UQTR, the No. 5 Patriotes continued their regular-season dominance, smothering the York Lions by a score of 6-1 on Friday night.

Goal-scorers for the Patriotes included Steve Bellefleur (St-Basile-le-Grand, Que.), Francis Charland (Victoriaville, Que.), Jean Sebastien Breton (Pin Court, Que.), Alexandre Blais (Saint-Anselme, Que.), and Louis-Etienne Leblanc (Ham-Nord, Que.).

York's lone goal scorer was rookie Mackenzie Micks (Orillia, Ont.).


At Toronto, the Guelph Gryphons (6-5-0) narrowly beat the Varsity Blues (5-7-0), escaping with a 3-2 shootout win on Friday night.

By the end of the second-period, Guelph had a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Jon-Thomas MacDonald (Niagara Falls, Ont.) and Justin Gvora (Thunder Bay, Ont.).

The Blues, however, would not be easily beat as Eddie Snetsinger (Ajax, Ont.) and Claudio Cowdry (Mississauga, Ont.) responded with a second and third-period goals, respectively, to tie the game at two's.

In shootout the Gryphons prevailed thanks to a snipe from Kris Belan (Florence, Ont.), sealing the victory for his team.


At RMC, the No. 8 Lakehead Thunderwolves shut out the RMC Paladins 6-0 on Friday night at the Constantine Arena in Kingston, Ont.

Six players scored for Lakehead, including Pierre-Marc Guilbault (St. Julie, Que.) whose first period power play goal held up as the winner. With eight goals on the year, Guilbault leads all OUA blueliners.

Mark Soares (Burnaby, B.C.), Scott Dobben (Drayton, Ont.), Shandor Alphonso (Orangeville, Ont.), Brock McPherson (Brampton, Ont.) and Victor Anilane (Gothenburg, Sweden) also scored for a Wolves' team that outshot the Paladins 45-22. McPherson added two assists for a three-point night while Dan Speer (Thunder Bay, Ont.) had a great game with three helpers.


The Queen's Gaels got goals from five different players but it wasn't enough as they lost to the Windsor Lancers 7-5 on Friday night.

Both teams came into the game playing some good hockey as of late but it was the Gaels to get on the board first as Joey Derochie (Sudbury, Ont.) scored his ninth of the season.

The Lancers would storm back and scored three goals in under four minutes to take a 3-1 lead. Mark Thorburn (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.), Matt McCready (Kingsville, Ont.) and Danny Anger (Woodslee, Ont.) scored for Windsor in the outburst.

Before the period was out, Brock Ouellet (Lindsay, Ont.) pulled the Gaels to within one and gave them life heading into the second.

Queen's would use the momentum gained from Ouellet's goal to even the score early in the second. Thomas Franzon (Kingston, Ont.) managed to get the puck past Lancer goalie Jim Watt (Edmonton) to even the score at three.

However, Windsor showed their quick strike offence once again shortly thereafter. Anger netted his second of the contest before Brett Vandehogen (Chatham, Ont.) tallied to extend the Lancers lead to 5-3. McCready would add his second of the game on the power play midway through the frame to give Windsor a 6-3 advantage heading to the third.

Despite the deficit, Queen's came out strong to start the third and were rewarded just 1:39 in. Jeffrey Johnstone (Etobicoke, Ont.) scored his third of the season to pull the Gaels to within two.

Midway through the third, the Gaels would find themselves on the power play and captain Jonathon Lawrance (Steinbach, Man.) scored his fourth of the season to get Queen's to within a goal.

With the Gaels swarming the Lancers, Watt made several key saves to keep Windsor in front. Late in the period, the Gaels took a costly penalty and Anger made them pay, scoring his third goal of the game to seal the win for Windsor.

OUA Communications with files from Lakehead Thunderwolves, Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks, McGill Redmen, Western Mustangs, Queen's Gaels, York Lions, Western Mustangs, Waterloo Warriors, Brock Badgers