THUNDER BAY, Ont. - Victor Anilane (Gothenburg, Sweden) scored twice, and Kyle Moir (Calgary) made 24 saves en route to his first shutout of the 2009-10 season, as the No. 7 nationally-ranked Lakehead Thunderwolves men's hockey team beat the visiting No. 6 Brock Badgers 4-0, Friday night at the Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay, Ont.

Lakehead started the second period with a flurry of goal-scoring opportunities before freshman forward Anilane ignited the Gardens crowd with a huge hit on Badgers blueliner Joe Tolles (Toledo, Ohio). Minutes later, at 9:13, Brock McPherson (Brampton, Ont.) opened the game's scoring when he tipped the puck past the outstretched leg of Brock goalie Mark Yetman (Mount Pearl, Nfld.) on the doorstep. Dan Speer (Thunder Bay, Ont.) and Andrew Wilkins (Pickering, Ont.) got the assists.

The Wolves scored again at 10:55 when Jordan Smith's (Sault St. Marie, Ont.) point shot was redirected past Yetman by Anilane for his second goal of the year.

Just a minute later, it was 3-0 Thunderwolves after Adam Sergerie (Thunder Bay, Ont.) one-timed a Gretzky-like saucer pass from Andy Hyvarinen (Thunder Bay, Ont.) into the net. Kris Hogg got the second assist.

Anilane tallied the final goal of the game at 12:24 with a beautiful deke past a sprawling Yetman. Scott Dobben (Drayton, Ont.) and Ryan Baird (Thunder Bay, Ont.) added the helpers.

Anilane had his second straight two-goal game as the CIS Thunderwolves men's hockey team escaped with a narrow 4-3 victory over the Badgers, Saturday night at the Fort William Gardens.

Mark Soares (Burnaby, B.C.) and Smith also scored for the Wolves while Brock's goals came courtesy of Dan Dooley (Saint John, N.B.), Derek Brochu (Welland, Ont.) and Gary Friesen (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont.). The night was a suspenseful one for the 3,100 fans in attendance as both teams had goals called back and the post came into play on several occasions.

With the win, the Thunderwolves improve to 5-0-1. They remain tied with the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks for first place in the OUA West. Brock drops to 4-2-0 in OUA play.

Lakehead opened scoring at 10:50 in the first when Soares banged the puck in from a few feet out on helpers from Dobben and Anilane. Soares' goal came just minutes after he ringed a slap shot of the left post.

Later, Dobben drew a red light from the goal judge, but refs called it back as it hit the right post before rebounding out.

Anilane scored his first of the night at 6:03 of the second period with a nice redirection.

The big Swede added his second of the night at 17:35 when he scooped up a botched clearing attempt and fired it into the left side of the net.

Twenty-two seconds later Dooley put the Badgers on the board, assisted by Ryan Stephenson (Belmont, Ont.).

Brock drew closer at 1:06 of the third period when Brochu scored following an ugly giveaway in the Lakehead end.

The Thunderwolves responded minutes later when Smith scored his first goal of the season, sniping a power play marker after pinching in from the point.

Brock closed the scoring with a power play goal of their own at 7:58 when Friesen shot it past Lakehead goalie Moir.

Moir remains undefeated at 6-0-0 on the season after the win.


The Nipissing Lakers defeated the Concordia Stingers 4-1 at home on Friday night.

Matt Lahey, Nathan Hewitt, Sam Hopewell and Andrew Marcoux scored for the Lakers.

Kyle Kelly spoiled Kyle Cantlon's shutout bid in the third period.


The Carleton Ravens scored four unanswered goals to come from behind and beat the Toronto Varsity Blues 4-2 in Toronto on Friday night.

The Ravens got into penalty trouble early and it would cost them. They were two-men down following two consecutive cross-checking penalties when Ed Snetsinger (Ajax, Ont.) put the puck past Ravens goalie Ryan Dube (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) to put the Varsity Blues on the board first. U of T would add another goal before the period was over as winger Joe Rand (Hamilton, Ont.) doubled the Varsity Blues lead. U of T also doubled up the Ravens in shots after the first, outshooting Carleton 16-8.

The Ravens came out with more jump in the second, cutting the Varsity Blues lead in the first minute of action when Derek Wells (Alymer, Que.) notched his third goal of the season. The Ravens tied the game on the power play midway through the period when Brett Halstead (Burlington, Ont.) put the puck past U of T goalie Andrew Martin (Mississauga, Ont.). The score remained tied at the end of 40 minutes.

Carleton took its first lead of the game in the third period, when Mike Byrd (Kemptville, Ont.) scored the Ravens second power play goal of the game. Yves Bastien (Dowling, Ont.) notched the Ravens fourth unanswered goal of the game to give them the 4-2 win.

Dube made 27 saves for the Ravens win in his OUA debut.


The No. 10 Waterloo Warriors improved to 4-0-1 on the season with a 4-2 win over the visiting Guelph Gryphons Friday night at the CIF Arena.

After the Gryphons opened the scoring at 5:32 of the first, Waterloo's Steve Whitely (Petrolia, Ont.) scored his third goal of the season on the power play to even the score 1-1.

Shane Hart (Guelph, Ont.) and Kyle Schwende (Waterloo, Ont.) scored for the Warriors to open up a two-goal lead after two. The Gryphons would close the gap to one 3-2 mid way through the third, but the Warriors would add an empty-netter by Mark Hartman (Bacarres, Sask.) to secure the victory.

Waterloo native John Zelenbaba (1-0) made 40 saves and earned his first win as a Warrior.

Jon Thomas Macdonald (Niagara Falls, Ont.) and Cale Jefferies (Glenboro, Man.) scored for Guelph.


The Ottawa Gee-Gees fought hard against the Nipissing Lakers, however the team could not come up with a win, losing 2-1 Saturday night at the uOttawa Sports Complex.

The first goal was scored by Nathan Hewitt half way through the game by the Lakers. The Gee-Gees responded with a goal by left wing Sean Smyth in the second period, but they could not hold Nipissing back, as the Lakers got another goal, this time by Ryan Maunu.

Goaltender Riley Whitlock (Calgary) had a great glove save half way through the third period to keep the Gee-Gees alive.

Tempers flared between forward Adam Simms (Burlington, Ont.) and defencemen Gabriel Houde, which seemed to energize both teams. After the Gee-Gees called a time out with a minute left in the third, they pulled Whitlock, but the Gee-Gees could not make a comeback to tie up the game, losing 2-1.


The Queen's Gaels (1-2-0) suffered an 8-2 defeat on Friday night at the hands of the No. 4 nationally-ranked UQTR Patriotes (4-0-0).

The opening frame saw the Gaels take an early lead when Scott Kenway (Calgary) scored his first goal of the season just 53 seconds into the contest. Kenway collected a rebound off Jordan Mirwaldt's (Winnipeg) shot to give Queen's a 1-0 advantage.

The Gaels would take the one goal lead with them into the second period but the Patriotes came out to start the period showing why they are ranked No. 4 in Canada. UQTR would score six goals in the frame, including two off the stick of Francis Charland (Victoriaville, Que.), to take control of the game.

The third period saw the Patriotes add two more goals before the Gaels rounded out the scoring with a late tally from David Fitzpatrick (Thunder Bay, Ont.).


Paul Bradley (Calgary) scored his second game-winning goal to lift the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (5-0-1) over the host York Lions (2-3-1) 5-4 in overtime.

York's Jesse Messier (Keswick, Ont.) opened the scoring in the game at the 15 minute mark for his third goal of the season. The Golden Hawks would answer right back with two quick power play markers from Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.).

Mitchell Good (Wellsley, Ont.) continued Laurier's momentum after the break with his second goal in as many games to give the visitors a 3-1 lead just four minutes into the period.  The Lions would answer with a power play marker of their own from Mackenzie Micks (Orillia, Ont.).

Laurier opened the third period with another marker, this time it was Jeff Borrows (London, Ont.) who notched his third of the season just 12 seconds into the frame. York's leading goal scorer Nathaniel Brooks (Burlington, Ont.) caught fire late in the period scoring two goals to tie up the match and send it to over time.

Bradley scored at 3:30 in the overtime period to ice the game for the Hawks.

Hawk netminder Ryan Daniels (Pickering, Ont.) faced 57 shots on the day and stopped 53 of them. For the Lion's David Davenport (Bradford, Ont.) saw 31 and turned aside 26.


The Ryerson Rams men's hockey team dropped its fifth game in a row, falling to the No. 4 University of Quebec Trois-Rivieres Patriotes 4-2 Saturday afternoon at George Bell Arena in Toronto.

Ryerson was sent to the box three times in the first four minutes and five times in the first period alone. The early man advantage gave UQTR all the momentum they needed to take a quick lead. Alexandre Blais (Saint-Anselme, Que.) one-timed a nice pass from Guillaume Chicoine (Dubreuilville, Ont.) past Rams goalie Louie George (Waterloo, Ont.) on the power play to give the visitors a 1-0 lead less than a minute into the game.

Ryerson responded well though and scored two quick goals to take the lead into the first intermission. Half-way through the period, Nick Bohdanec (South Porcupine, Ont.) evened the score using his speed to streak down the wing and fire a shot past UQTR goalie Jean-Christophe Blanchard (Trois-Rivières, Que.) before Andrew Buck (Newmarket, Ont.) put the Rams on top when he stickhandled past a UQTR defenceman and wired a shot into the back of the net for a 2-1 lead.

The Rams managed to stay out of the box in the second period but lost their lead around the five minute mark. Blais scored his second of the game for UQTR, finding the puck in a scramble in front of Ryerson's net and sticking the puck in to tie the game at two.

UQTR took the lead early in the third when Nicolas Caouette (St. Liboire, Que.) scored his second goal of the season off assists from David Chabot-Maltais and Phillipe Bronsard (Montreal), making the score 3-2.

The Rams pressed offensively, trying to even the score, until penalties once again gave UQTR the momentum. The Patriotes put the game away on another power play when Francis Charland's (Victoriaville, Que.) shot just trickled into the net after George got a piece of it.


Joey Derochie (Sudbury, Ont.), had four points while Mackenzie Ball (Shannonville, Ont)., made 30 saves as the Queen's Gaels defeated the Carleton Ravens 5-3 on Saturday afternoon.

The opening frame saw the Ravens jump out to a 2-0 lead before the game was five minutes old. Derochie would notch his first of the contest to pull Queen's to within a goal before Jared Cipparone (Tecumseh, Ont.) restored the two-goal lead for Carleton.

Despite the deficit, the Gaels continued to battle and were rewarded when Robert Stellick (Mississauga, Ont.), scored his first CIS goal on the power play to make it 3-2 after one period of play.

Midway through the second period, Derochie would notch his second marker of the game, evening the score at three.

Just 28 seconds into the third, captain Jonathon Lawrance (Steinbach, Man.) scored a power play goal to give Queen's their first lead of the game. Two minutes later, David Chubb (St. George's, Nfld.) scored a beautiful goal when he split two Ravens defenders and roofed the puck past Carleton goalie Alexander Archibald (Ottawa).

Aside from Derochie's four point effort, three other Gaels recorded multiple-point games, including Chubb (3), Jeffrey Johnstone (Etobicoke, Ont.), (3) and Jordan Mirwaldt (Winnipeg) (2).


Ryan Maunu (Sault St. Marie, Ont.) scored the game-winner with 2:27 left in the second period and goaltender Matt Hache (Guelph, Ont.) helped shut the door the rest of the way as the Lakers held off the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

Nathan Hewitt (North Bay, Ont.), with his fourth of the season, opened the scoring on a slap shot from the side boards on the power play in the first period for the Lakers, before Sean Smyth (Clarence Creek, Ont.) replied for the Gee-Gees (2-4-0) on a power play midway through the second period.


Robert Kay (Orono, Ont.) tallied two goals and one assist as the Toronto Varsity Blues defeated the Concordia Stingers 5-2 on Saturday at Varsity Arena.

Kay opened up the scoring just 1:24 into the game, sending a wide-angled shot at the net that beat Concordia goaltender Maxime Joyal (Chateauguay, Que.) on the short side.
Toronto scored less than three minutes into the second period when first-year forward Brent McGrail (Mississauga, Ont.) sent a pass to Bryden Teich (Toronto) all alone in the high slot, who one-timed it into the back of the net.

Kay and Byron Elliott (Burlington, Ont.) then assisted on second-year forward David Mooney's (Toronto) first goal as a Varsity Blue 6:15 into the second period. Mooney sent a booming wrist shot through traffic to beat Joyal and give the Blues a three-goal lead.

Toronto extended their lead to four when fourth-year defenceman Ed Snetsinger (Ajax, Ont.) skated in off the point and one-timed a pass from Joel Lenius (Markham, Ont.) into the net.

Concordia finally got on the board late in the second period, scoring what would be their only two goals of the game only 13 seconds apart. Second-year forward Cory McGillis (Sudbury, Ont.) sent a pass from behind the goal line to Brad Gager (Dorval, Que.) who made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

The Stingers second goal came directly off a face off to the left of Blues goaltender Russ Brownell (Oakville, Ont.). Marc-Andre Rizk (Montreal) won the draw to left winger Renaud Des Alliers (Sorel-Tracy, Que.) and sent a quick pass to linemate Kyle Kelly (Pointe-Claire, Que.) who wired a shot into the top corner of the net.

Kay added an insurance marker five minutes into the third period off a pass from Elliott to secure the three-goal victory.


he UOIT Ridgebacks picked up two important points on Saturday night as they defeated the Waterloo Warriors 4-2 at the Campus Ice Centre.

The nationally ranked Waterloo Warriors have been on fire to start the season, with tonight's loss to UOIT being their first in regulation. The win marked the Ridgebacks second consecutive home victory over a nationally ranked opponent, with the team defeated Lakehead last weekend 6-5 in a shootout.

Josh Vatri (Barrie, Ont.), Derrick Bagshaw (Oshawa, Ont.) and Brent Varty (Oshawa, Ont.) each picked up two points on the night, with Vatri netting two goals and Bagshaw and Varty scoring a goal and an assist respectively. Vatri has scored six points in his last three games, five of which were goals.

Vatri, the 2008-09 OUA West rookie of the year, would open up the scoring in the second period with his league leading fifth and six goal of the season, followed up by Varty's third goal of the year giving UOIT a 3-0 lead.

The Warriors would get on the scoreboard before the end of the period, but a UOIT goal by Bagshaw five minutes into the final frame would put the game on ice. Waterloo scored their second goal with 20 seconds left in the game, but UOIT had the contest well in hand as they skated to their second conference win of the year.

Jason Guy (Whitby, Ont.) had a solid game in net for UOIT stopping 30 of 32 shots. The Ridgebacks went 1-for-4 on the power play while Waterloo went 0-for-9.

Source: Lakehead Thunderwolves, Carleton Ravens, Ottawa Gee-Gees, Ryerson Rams, Toronto Varsity Blues, UOIT Ridgebacks, Waterloo Warriors