OTTAWA - The Carleton Ravens men's hockey team skated into the holidays on a high, with a 3-2 overtime win over the first place UQTR Patriotes at the Ice House Saturday afternoon.

In the first meeting this year between the two teams, Carleton looked strong. The Ravens controlled much of the first 20 minutes, continuing the momentum gained from an 8-0 blowout Friday over the Queen's Gaels.

However, it was UQTR that broke the ice with just 22 seconds left in the first period. OUA leading scorer Francis Charland (Victoriaville, Que.) picked up a loose puck between the face off circles and chipped it low blocker side, his 15th of the year.

The Patriotes came out stronger in the second, building off that late goal. The Ravens weathered the small storm, though, and finally capitalized on the Patriotes' undisciplined play later in the period. Third-year forward Jared Cipparone (Tecumseh, Ont.) tapped a rebound into an open net, tying the game, and the score stood 1-1 after 40 minutes.

A Ravens penalty cost them early in the third period. Patriotes defenceman Guillaume Chicoine (Dubreuilville, Ont.) pinched in and buried a rebound past vulnerable Ravens goalie Alex Archibald (Ottawa). That 2-1 score stood for 11 minutes, when Ravens winger Joey Manley (Ottawa) flew down the left wing and snapped a shot under the right arm of Patriotes goalie Jean-Christopher Blanchard (Trois-Rivieres, Que.) to lock the game at deuces. It would stay that way going into overtime.

Both teams traded chances in the extra period. Though it was second-year defenceman Brett Halstead (Burlington, Ont.) who pinched in and wristed a shot past Blanchard to give Carleton the victory. The Ravens improved their record to 9-6-2, for 20 points, while the Patriotes fall to 14-3-0, for 28 points. The Ravens next game will be an exhibition road trip to Antigonish, N.S. in early January.


At Ryerson, after a tough first period, the Rams made a big comeback, but ultimately fell short as the No. 6 McGill Redmen scored a late goal and added an empty netter to win their second in a row over Ryerson, 8-5 at George Bell Arena on Saturday.

In the first, the Rams started by playing a much more competitive game but it wasn't long before McGill's goals started piling up, taking away any momentum Ryerson had gained.

The Redmen's first goal came at the 16:22 mark of the first when Rams goalie Louie George (Waterloo, Ont.) made an initial save off a Sebastian Rioux (Sorel, Que.) shot from the point, but kicked the rebound right to Simon Marcotte-Legare (Longueuil, Que.) who found the back of the net for the power play goal.

With just under eight minutes to play in the period McGill made it 2-0 with another power play goal. The Redmen broke into Ryerson's zone three on two before Francis Verreault-Paul (Mashteuiatsh, Que.) scored after a nice tic-tac-toe passing play.

It was 3-0 McGill not before long when Christophe Longpre-Poirier (Longueuil, Que.) and Maxime Langelier-Parent (Levy, Que.) broke in two on one on the penalty kill with six minutes left to play in the period. After a Ryerson turnover in McGill's territory, Longpre-Poirier and Langelier-Parent broke out with Longpre-Poirier keeping the puck before deking George and just slipping it past the goal line.

The Rams got on the board with three minutes left in the period when Alexei Dostoinov (Moscow) managed to slip one past McGill's goalie Hubert Morin (St-George-de-Beauce, Que.) on an odd-man rush. Greg Payne (Thornhill, Ont.) and Julian Zamparo (Toronto) assisted on the goal.

The Redmen responded just 30 seconds later when Langelier-Parent broke in on the wing and beat George with a quick shot along the ice to restore McGill's three-goal lead.

McGill added one more in the period to make it 5-1 after one off a Wright shot that got past George.

The second period was a different story for Ryerson, who looked much sharper and outscored the Redmen 3-1. With only 4:20 to play in the period Marcus Booth (Orillia, Ont.) pulled Ryerson to within three goals. Kevin Day (Toronto) picked up a lead pass from Alex Sharpe (Mount Forest, Ont.) inside Ryerson's zone before finding Booth streaking through the middle. Booth made no mistake, finding the back of the net to make the score 5-2.

With under two minutes to play in the period, Dostoinov picked up his second of the game. Dostoinov stickhandled his way into McGill territory and although he lost the puck, he still managed to swat at it, finding the back of the net to pull the Rams to within two.

With 36 seconds left in the second period, McGill got one back when Vossen beat George close in front of the net.

Just 16 seconds later the Rams made it 6-4 off a Payne goal. Dostoinov pushed the puck into the front of the net before Payne roofed it over Morin for his second point of the game.

Two minutes into the third, Scott Madden (Barrie, Ont.) pulled the Rams to within one goal of McGill, the closest they would get, when a Payne pass went wide of the net before Madden picked it up on the far side and stuffed it home before Morin got back into position.

Midway through the third McGill restored its two goal lead when Vossen skated out from the corner and threw a backhander on net. George got a piece of the puck but it still managed to trickle past the goal line.

With 33 seconds to play, Wright made the score 8-5 with an empty-net goal.


At Ottawa, the Gee-Gees were a much more disciplined team Saturday night against the Queen's Gaels in their final game before the New Year, but a few mistakes, including a miscommunication on the second goal, resulted in a 3-1 loss.

The Gee-Gees had a remarkable first period and managed to stay out of the penalty box. uOttawa's captain Matthieu Methot (Ottawa) scored the first goal of the game on a power play with under six minutes left in the first to secure a lead over the Gaels.

However, the Gaels turned things around in the second half of the game, scoring three unanswered goals, and added another win to their record.

Scoring for Queen's were Joey Derochie, Brock Ouellet and Jeffrey Johnstone.


At York, the Guelph Gryphons dropped a 6-5 final to the Lions on Saturday night. The Gryphons end the first half of the season with a 6-9-2 regular season record.

Despite outshooting the York Lions by a significant margin 38-23 and dominating in every aspect of the game, the Gryphons lost on a late York goal with 1:45 left in the game for the their first lead. 

The Gryphons led 3-1 in the first period on two goals by Kris Belan (Florence, Ont.) and a power play goal by Ed Gale (Keswick, Ont.) before the Lions replied with two goals by Chris Jones and Jesse Messier to end the first period 3-3. 

Patrick Campbell (Sauble Beach, Ont.) scored the only marker of the second period on the power play to lead the Gryphons to a 4-3 lead at the second intermission. 

The Lions outscored the Gryphons 3-1 in the third on two goals by Chris Jones and one by Cassidy Preston while Gryphons leading scorer Thomas Kiriakou (Richmond Hill, Ont.) replied for the Gryphons. Kevin Couture (Mississauga, Ont.) took the loss saving 17 of 23 shots in the game.


At Waterloo, Warriors goaltender John Zelenbaba stopped all 31 shots he faced in a 4-0 victory over the Windsor Lancers on Saturday night.

The game remained scoreless until 6:01 into the second period when Kurt Thorner scored his fourth of the season in what turned out to be the game-winning goal.

Other marksmen for the Warriors included Mark Hartman, Shane Hart and an empty netter by Kyle Schwende.


At Ryerson, sophomore Francis Verreault-Paul of Mashteuiatsh, Que., scored four points, including his second hat-trick in four games, as No. 6-ranked McGill sheared the Rams 7-0 at George Bell Arena, Friday.

It was McGill's 18th consecutive road win at Ryerson, which announced earlier in the week that they will be moving to the yet-to-be refurbished Maple Leaf Gardens in 2011.

The Redmen, who outshot Ryerson 50-29, led 2-0 after the opening period and 4-0 after two.

Goaltender Hubert Morin, who rebounded nicely from the previous week's 4-3 loss at U of T, made 29 saves to register his second shutout of the season. The 22-year-old sophomore from St. Georges de Beauce, Que., improved his record to 8-1 in 10 starts and is ranked third among league leaders with a 2.32 goals-against average, He also owns a .919 save percentage, which ranks third among OUA puck-stoppers.

Verreault-Paul, a 5-foot-10, 178-pound right winger, was credited with the game-winner at 10:15 of the first, made it 3-0 at 10:38 of the middle stanza and completed his hat at the 28-second mark of the final period to give the Redmen a commanding 5-0 lead. He now shares the league lead in goals with 14 and sits its sixth in the OUA scoring race with 25 points in only 12 games.

Rounding out the scoring for McGill was Guillaume Doucet of Anjou, Que., with a pair, plus rookie Christophe Longpre-Poirier of Longueuil, Que., and St. Hubert, Que., native Alexandre Picard-Hooper, who added three helpers for a four-point soiree.

Andrew Wright, a sophomore playing in his hometown, contributed three assists.

McGill, which went 3-for-8 with the man-advantage, killed off all six Ryerson power-play opportunities and now lead the 19-team league with a stellar 89.5 per cent success rate, allowing just eight goals in 76 shorthanded situations.


At UOIT, the No. 10 nationally-ranked Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks picked up another win as they defeated the UOIT Ridgebacks 7-0 at the Campus Ice Centre in front of 400.

Ryan Bellows (St. Catharines, Ont.) continued his 10-game point streak and six-game goal-scoring streak as he added the second marker of the contest as well as another assist.

Two Golden Hawks had strong performances picking up five and four points each. Clinton Pettapiece (Christina Lake, B.C.) led the team with a five-point evening including four assists and the first and what would be the game winner of the contest. The second year winger now has 16 points on the season. Meanwhile Jeff Borrows (London, Ont.) picked up two goals and two assists against the Ridgebacks to bring his season point total to 15.

Craig Voakes (St. Thomas, Ont.), Jean-Michel Rizk (Dunham, Que.) and Jordan Bonneville (St. Agatha, Ont.) added the other goals for the purple-and-gold. 

Laurier's power play was effective in the contest as the team netted four goals on eight attempts. UOIT saw 15 infractions for 38 minutes of penalties while Laurier had 20 minutes worth on 10 calls.

OUA point leader Paul Bradley (Calgary) earned an assist and remains in first, however now tied with a forward from UQTR.

Rookie netminder Ryan Daniels (Pickering, Ont.) picked up his and the team's first shutout of the 2009 campaign. Daniels claimed his sixth win of the season as he stopped all 29 shots on net.


At Carleton, the Ravens blanked the Queen's Gaels 8-0 at the Ice House on Friday night.

During the first period both teams moved the puck at a fair pace featuring end-to-end rushes. The first Ravens' goal came at the middle of the period when Andrew Self (Peterborough, Ont.) found a hole in the middle of traffic in front of the Gaels' net. A second goal came in at 13:15 of the first period by Brandon MacLean (Burlington, Ont.). Self scored his second of the game two minutes later, giving the Ravens a 3-0 lead heading into intermission.

Queen's goalie Mackenzie Ball (Shannonville, Ont.) made some key saves at the beginning of the second period preventing the Ravens from scoring until 10 minutes in when Carleton's Mike Byrd (Kemptville, Ont.) netted a goal. The Gaels were not able to capitalize on their power plays and before the end of the period the Ravens' had scored four more goals. Charles Carre (Sudbury, Ont.) and Joey Manley (Ottawa) both scored their first of the season, while MacLean netted his second of the game. The last goal of the period and the game came when Self completed the hat trick after he stole it from a Gaels' defenseman and went in on a one-on-one with Ball.

Queen's switched their goalies for the last period of the game bringing in Christopher Feniak (Toronto). Feniak played a great period as he kept the Ravens' scoreless for the entire frame.

Ryan Dube (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) made 20 saves for the shutout.


At Concordia, the Ottawa Gee-Gees recorded yet another disappointing loss on the road Friday evening as they took on the Stingers for the first time this season, falling to the Stingers 6-1.

After a scoreless first period, Concordia put the first point on the board, scoring only 32 seconds into the period. This was followed by two more goals before the end of the second. The Stingers continued to dominate in the third period, scoring another three goals to secure a five point lead.

Nicolas Sciangula scored a pair of goals for Concordia. Jesse Goodsell and Brad Gager had three-point efforts.

Second-year forward Simren Sandhu (Calgary) scored the lone goal for the Gee-Gees with under five minutes left in the game to prevent the shutout.

First-year Gee-Gee Aaron Barton (Carlisle, Ont.) played in goal for the majority of the game, with third-year Riley Whitlock (Calgary) temporarily relieving him in the third period to fix a problem with his skate. In net for Concordia was Maxime Joyal.


At Nipissing, the UQTR Patriotes doubled up the Nipissing Lakers 4-2.

With the game deadlocked at 2-2 in the third period, Jean-Sebastien Breton scored a pair of goals, including one on a power play, to seal the win for UQTR.

The Patriotes opened with a 2-0 lead on goals by Alexandre Demers and Alexandre Blais in the first period.

Nipissing roared back in the second period as Brandon Happeney and Andrew Marcoux scored for the Lakers. It was Marcoux's 13th of the season.

But UQTR proved to be too strong for Nipissing on this night. A total of 2,052 were in attendance in the Memorial Gardens.

Source: Carleton Ravens, Ryerson Rams, Ot